Getting a Boost from SERS
SERS = Surface Enhanced Raman Spectroscopy or Scattering.
• Special substrate (Au nanoparticle) + 785nm Laser = special resonance
• Effective over very short distance (few nm) = highly sensitive
• Boosts Raman signal 103 – 107x
How is it implemented?
• Construct in the lab*
• Commercially available
A step further: Increasing specificity
• Convert SERS spectrum to Bar Code (- slope = dark; + slope = bright)
• Conduct Principal Component Analysis (PCA)
Convert SERS spectrum to Bar Code
Conduct Principal Component Analysis
*W. R. Premasiri, D. T. Moir, M. S. Klempner, N. Kreiger, G. Jones, II, L. D. Ziegler, J. Phys. Chem. B, 109, 2005 (312-320).
SERS spectra and PCA, courtesy of Dr. Larry Ziegler, Boston University, Boston, MA